22 days of the exceptional zulu kingdom – day 4
Many will know that the sunny city boasts the amazing Ushaka marine world, the fantastically photogenic Moses Mabhida Stadium, the incredible – world class beach promenade, and the beaches of course – but we want to give you the inside scoop – and the real Durban iKhasi experience
Stuff you probably didn’t know you could do at Ushaka:
- Rent a bicycle and cycle along the promenade
- Rent a surfboard
- Drink cocktails on the pier
- Fine Dining at the Cargo hold, eat with the sharks!
- Kayak or take a magical & romantic gondola ride on the canals at the new Point Waterfront
- Watch a 5D movie
Stuff you probably didn’t know you could do at Moses Mabhida Stadium:
- The Big Swing, the worlds’ highest swing!
- The skycar that takes you to the very top, where you will find a viewing platform from where you can see almost all of Durban!
- Segway gliding tours from the stadium all along the stunning promenade
- Eat yourself silly with many restaurants at the stadium and Peoples’ Park Café too!
- Lose a few kg’s at the Virgin Active classic – buy a day pass and get your sweat on with Virgin active – or visit the Human Performance Institute for a tougher workout, if you dare!
- One of the best markets in Durban, the I Heart Market is on the lawn at the stadium on the first Saturday of every month – you will not be disappointed by the variety and spirit of this market!
Stuff you probably didn’t know you could do on the promenade:
- The best Rocky Road Dessert you will ever have in your life can be found at SurfRiders, Addington Beach.
- Just a little way down the promenade is the best chicken ever! Afros! (the little yellow container) Addington beach.
- The all new California Dreaming Restaurant, next to the Rachel Finlayson Salt Water pool on Dairy Beach, is a feast for your tummy and your eyes!
- Take the plunge at the pools! The Rachel Finlayson Salt Water pools are a wonderful swimming and sun loungers paradise, right on dairy beach!
- Rent an electric bicycle and take in all of the promenade with half of the effort!
- Rent a surfboard and learn to surf!
- Dine on the beach! Yes! ON the beach! Situated just behind Mini Town on North Beach, you will find Circus Circus – where you can dine inside, outside on the promenade, or right on the beach! Now how’s that for an experience!?
Places you probably don’t know about:
- The Roma Revolving Restaurant is an institution in Durban, with breath-taking views, it’s a must see while in Durban. Situated atop the John Ross House on Margaret Mncadi Ave.
- Chesa Nyama, at 260 Monty Naicker Road offers traditional “Shisa Nyama” or (Braai) food, with extra Durban Flavour.
- Visit The Pitz in Durban North 208 Kenneth Kaunda Drive for a good old fashioned Pork Sandwich, or a nice “Braai’d” Chop!
- Lord Prawn in uMhlanga will serve you the biggest plate of delicious seafood you have ever seen, at a budget pleasing price too!
- Mr Browns BBQ in Hillcrest will blow your mind with their pulled pork and smoked delicacies – they are located at 65 Old Main Road, Hillcrest
- Fancy a pretty view over Durban? Take a drive up to “The Cube” and feast your eyes on the view from the reservoir atop the hill on Innes Road, right across from the Hotel Cube
- Fine Dining in the harbour on a whole other level! Try La Vue Floating Restaurant at Wilsons Warf, entrance two – you will see her docked and waiting for you at the waters edge. Take a dinner cruise in fine dining style! Reservations firstname.lastname@example.org
- Take a helicopter flip! Virginia Airport is host to a few charter companies that offer fantastic scenic trips!
- Have a Durban curry! No trip to Durban could ever be complete without this classic Durban fare – There are lots of places in Durban that serve a good Bunny Chow & Durban Curry, why not try the following places as voted by Yasantha Naidoo & Shelley Seid of Times Live.co.za
- BUNNY HUGGING, Sasol Mount Edgecombe, 34 Sipho Sethy Road, Mt Edgecombe. 031-537-3997
- TOP TAKEAWAY, Jaipur Palace Express, 131 Waterkant Road. 031-564-9215
- COOLEST CURRY, Gounden’s, 520 Umbilo Rd, Durban. 031-205-5363
- BEST KARMA, Vrushiks Vegetarian Food, Mangrove Beach Centre, 91 Somtseu Rd.031-368-7443
- LITTLE DYNAMITE, Nita’s Curry Den, 172 Brickfield Road. 073-260-2147
- BRILLIANT BIRYANI, Solly Manjra’s, 9 Lakedale Road, Sea Cow Lake. 031-577-4774
- ALL YOU CAN EAT, Oyster Box Hotel, 2 Lighthouse Rd, Umhlanga. 031-514-5000
- SPICED-UP SEAFOOD, El Arish, 899 Bluff Road, Bluff. 031-467-9576
- CONTEMPORARY CURRY, Spice Restaurant & Bar Lounge, 37 North Beach Road, Bali Hai, Westbrook, Tongaat. 032-943-3558