KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) is getting ready to welcome over 500 000 domestic holidaymakers for the Easter season.
The Easter season which, will span over a two- week period, is expected to also attract international travellers in the region of 65 000 from United Kingdom, Germany, United States of America, France, Netherlands and India. This season is expected to generate over R675 million for the economy of province from both domestic and international travellers.
The Chief Executive Officer of Tourism KwaZulu-Natal, Mr Ndabo Khoza said “The Easter season is a very important season for us. We get a lot of holidaymakers from our key source markets like KZN, Gauteng and inland provinces keen to enjoy the last days of summer ahead of the winter season. Our hotels, particularly those along the coast, enjoy high occupancies during this time.”
KwaZulu-Natal remains a firm favourite with holidaymakers and it continues to be a great value-for-money destination that offers excellent service and activities suitable for the whole family.
“This year, we are also expecting more international tourists with a number of airlines that now fly directly to King Shaka International Airport. We are projecting an increase of 18.7 % on our international arrivals. We are confident that they too will fall in love with our destination and keep coming back in the future”, concluded Khoza.
TKZN has joined forces with KZN Liquor Authority, Department of Health, Sanral, South African Police Services, Road Accident Fun, Road Traffic Inspectorate and many others as part of a multi-stakeholder campaign to promote KZN as a safe destination during the season. The “Driver Wellness Easter campaign” kick started at Port Edwards on Tuesday, 11 April 2017 will be followed by smaller activations on the N3 Southbound on 14 and 15 April 2017.
Holidaymakers will be spoilt for choice as the province will host a number of events across KZN to ensure that visitors have a truly exceptional holiday experience.
Some of the events are:
- Easter Indian Shopping Festival, Moses Mabhida Stadium, 7 – 27 April
- Splashy Fan Music Festival, Underberg, 13 – 16 April
- Ubunye Easter Weekend Bang at Muzuvukile Sports Ground, 14 April
- The Gwara Nation, KwaNdengezi Sports Field, 15 April
- Durban Picnic Day, Moses Mabhida Stadium, 16 April
- Cothoza, Nongoma Gardens, 16 April
- 6th Annual Uvukile Gospel Festival, Ugu Sports ground, 16 April
- Indidane Maskandi Festival Pomoroy Stadium, 16 April
- Handles Messiah, Opera Theatre, The Playhouse, 16 April
- Greatest Zululand Music Festival, The George Hotel, Eshowe, 20 April
- South Coast Bike Festival, Margate, 27 April
- UMhlathuze Music Festival, Imbizo Hall Empangeni, 28 – 30 April
- Durban Ski-boat Club Festival, Durban Ski-boat club, 28 – 30 April
- Amabhubesi Rally 2017, Hazelmere Dam Verulam, 28 April
TKZN would like to urge holidaymakers to always use graded and registered establishments when booking a holiday in the province to ensure that they truly have an exceptional time and their holiday is not marred by unscrupulous characters. Those who have not finalized their plans yet, can visit the Tourism KZN website, www.zulu.org.za to book accommodation in over 100 establishments in real-time.